The next few weeks will be a busy time for everyone and while we might be distracted with the hustle of the holiday season, HPD wants everyone to remember a few simple tips that will help you and your family stay safe.
While shopping you should stay alert to your surroundings.
- Don’t walk and talk on your phone and only carry what cards and cash are necessary.
- Secure your belongings out of sight and keep your purse nearby at all times.
The holiday season also means increased spending so be careful to protect your personal data.
- Be wary of who you provide your personal information to and watch for credit skimming devices.
- Watch your financial statements closely and report inconsistencies immediately.
When you make your holiday purchases, stow them in the trunk prior to your next destination.
- If you are stowing packages in your trunk and then heading back in to keep shopping, move your vehicle and park in a different place.
- Make your most expensive purchase your last purchase of the day and take the item straight home.
- Criminals are watching what you are buying and whether you are going to leave it unattended in your car after you make your purchase.
Don’t forget to protect your home
- At home keep the outside well lit, doors locked and curtains closed.
- If you are traveling out of town have a neighbor watch your house and put your lights on a timer.
- It might be tempting to display your tree in the window for everyone to see, it’s best to keep your tree and gifts where on-lookers can’t see.
When it’s time to clean up remember not to advertise what gifts you received.
- Destroy the boxes or place them in sealed garbage bags before you set them out for garbage collection.
HPD wishes everyone a happy and safe holidays. For more information on holiday safety tips visit http://www.houstontx.gov/police/pdfs/holiday_safety.pdf