Meet the Chief of Staff
District K, I am so excited to introduce our new Chief of Staff to each of you. Please mark your calendars to join us for a “Conversation with the Chief of Staff” on Friday, May 29th at 11:00 am to 12 noon. Perdita “DiDi” Chavis joined our office on May 11th and has made an immediate impact in our office and with our team.
The teleconference will be hosted via Microsoft Teams and a link will be sent out for you to join on Thursday. Stay tuned for the opportunity to meet our new addition to your District K Team. If you are unable to participate on Friday, rest assured there will be plenty of future opportunities for you to meet DiDi.
City Council Virtual Meeting Guidelines
Last week the Houston City Council conducted our weekly public session and meeting via teleconference instead of in the Council Chamber to reduce the chance of COVID-19 transmission. Our meetings will continue using Microsoft Teams until further notice. If you are interested in the consolidated meeting this week the guidelines are as follows:
Public comment will be allowed via teleconference; no one will be allowed to appear in person in the Council Chamber. The meeting with also be broadcast on HTV, the City of Houston’s municipal channel, and streamed on the City’s website at https://www.houstontx.gov/htv/index.html and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pg/HoustonTelevision/videos/.
To speak remotely at the May 27, 2020 Council Meeting:
- All speakers must register in advance (Tuesday, May 26, 2020 by 5 p.m.).
All public comment will occur at the beginning of the meeting starting at 9 a.m.
- To sign up to speak, please call the City Secretary’s Office at 832-393-1100.
- If you need translation services, please notify staff when registering.
- You will need to call in prior to the start of the meeting. The number to call is: (936) 755-1521; Conference ID# 839 659 132#.
- Please note that you must remain on mute until the Mayor recognizes you to speak. When your name is called, press *6 to unmute yourself, and again, to mute yourself after your timed comments are heard. You will then have 1, 2, or 3, minutes to speak and then the bell will ring.
- If you speak out of turn, the meeting administration may mute you. If you speak again out of turn, you may be removed from the meeting. If you did not register in advance, you will not be recognized to speak.
- Speakers who are late or do not speak up when their name is called will not be able to speak.
- Please hang up or disconnect to leave the meeting.
- Please note that phone numbers of public speakers may show during the broadcast and recording of the Council Meeting. The recording of a public meeting subject to the Open Meetings Act is public information under the Texas Public Information Act.
Free Houston COVID-19 Testing Sites
Community Events this Week
As we continue to provide assistance throughout our community please note the following events taking place this week. The Food Distribution at The Power Center on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00pm to 6:00pm and The Fountain Life Center on Wednesday from 10:00 am to 1:00pm are also taking place this week.